Hi friends! I wanted you guys to be among the first to know about some really awesome and exciting changes that are taking place within Unwind Yarn Company.
As some of you may know (those of you with Etsy shops, at least), Etsy has made a LOT of changes to their site over the last few months, and very few of them are good. It seems like they have lost sight of what made Etsy so great to start with, and are starting to go down the “eBay path” of not caring about their sellers and their businesses. It is unfortunate because I have a really long relationship with Etsy; I started my shop on Etsy in July of 2006, and have been a big proponent of the Buying Handmade idealism that Etsy was so known for. Unfortunately, Etsy has become way too corporate in my opinion, and that is why I have made the decision to remove my shop from Etsy. My shop is now hosted by Big Cartel but has its very own domain!
This means several awesome things:
1. No more cartjacking! If you want something out of my shop in an update and put it in your cart, it will remain in your cart for one hour. If you don’t pay within that hour, the item will be released back into the shop for someone else to purchase.
2. Preview mode! You will be able to see the shop update items in advance (assuming I’m not a bum and forget to put them up, haha!) so you can plan your shopping in advance.
3. No more feedback! While I love seeing what you guys think about your purchases, feedback is not a part of how Big Cartel operates. If you’ve noticed the new Etsy rating system, they did away with all buyer feedback, and deleted all seller feedback from more than a year ago (costing me 800 positive feedbacks!), so now there really isn’t a clear picture of a person’s reputation on Etsy. Etsy did this without finding out the feelings of its sellers, so you’ll probably be seeing a lot more of your favorite indie dyers moving off of Etsy soon.
4. Payment options! For the moment I still only accept PayPal for payment, but Big Cartel is coming out with a PayPal-free option soon for those of you that don’t like/don’t trust PayPal. I’ll be researching this and implementing it as soon as I feasibly can, to give you more options.
5. Custom Order changes! Custom orders for all items except for sweater quantities will now be offered in the link in the sidebar of the shop. There will be a short form to fill out where you tell me exactly what you’re interested in purchasing, and then I’ll bill you for it and get it out to you ASAP. It’s just that simple!
I know that this is going to be a transition, and I ask that you please have patience with me as I learn the ropes of having my own site. I’m not very experienced with web design so the look and feel of the shop might change a bit as I try out different things, but the shop will be open with items for you to purchase during any site maintenance.
I also feel like I need to mention that those of you with outstanding preorders for TEALtember, and those of you with outstanding custom orders, will still be serviced through Etsy as that is where the purchase was originally made. As soon as those are completed, the Etsy shop will not be used anymore. It will stay open indefinitely so that my customers can still see my prior sales and use the link in the shop announcement section to find the new shop, as well as see my feedback rating.
The shop will be transitioned over to the new site completely by the end of the day today, and the next shop update on 9/3/13 will take place in the new shop at 4pmET. I hope to see some of you there! 😉